Many people wonder how important it is to replace their missing teeth. The answer is it is very important and the quicker you do so, the better it will be for your health. Missing teeth can negatively impact your oral health and even create more issues. Failing to replace your teeth can lead to many issues including bone loss, gum disease, gum recession, or teeth shifting. There are even links between missing teeth and an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and kidney disease. Not to mention that it can make it difficult to chew certain food and to talk.
Very few people make it their entire life without permanently losing a tooth. Unfortunately, some people will even lose a majority or all of their teeth. This is when you can trust Greeley CO dentists, Dr. Kami and Kevin Marr, to help you figure out how to replace them. No matter how you lost your teeth, we can create a treatment plan customized to your unique needs. The first thing we’ll need to figure out is what to replace them with. We offer dental implants and dentures for our patients who have lost a majority or all of their teeth. You can trust us to help you figure out which is best for you.
What are Dental Implants?
The term dental implant actually refers to a small, titanium surgical fixture that is threaded and resembles a screw. This fixture is surgically implanted into the jaw bone and will fuse with the jaw bone over a period of time, typically three to six months. This process of fusion between the implant and the jaw bone is known as osseointegration. It actually replaces the tooth root which will stimulate the bone and prevent bone loss. This is the closest thing available that mimics a natural tooth root.
In order to replace a majority or all of your teeth, our Greeley CO dentist office will place about two to six dental implants in your jaw. After you have healed, we will attach a denture for a permanent restoration. There are many advantages to choosing this option including:
- Better overall quality of life
- Will not slip or wiggle in your mouth
- Will prevent bone deterioration
- Not bulky and will give you a natural appearance and smile
- Delivers a 100% normal chewing function because they are surgically implanted and sturdy
- Offer a 90-95% success rate.
- More comfortable and feel just like your natural teeth.
- Can last a lifetime with proper care and regular visits to your dentist
What are Dentures?
A denture is a removable fixture that can replace missing teeth and some of the gum tissue. A complete denture is used if a patient is missing an entire row of teeth and a partial denture is used to fill in the gaps. They are made in a dental lab with impressions of your mouth. An advantage to choosing a denture is it will be ready in a fairly short amount of time. With dental implants, the entire process can take up to nine months because surgery and healing time is involved. They are also more affordable up front than implants. With that said, there are many disadvantages to choosing dentures which include:
- They are bulky and noticeable
- May take up a lot of space in your mouth
- Requires adhesive to stay in place in your mouth
- Takes a lot of time to get used to them
- Requires time consuming daily maintenance
- They slip around in your mouth making talking and eating difficult
- There is only a 30-40% normal chewing function
- They will need rebased as your jawbone diminishes and the fit changes
- Requires periodic maintenance
Schedule a Consultation
Even though dental implants are more expensive in the beginning and require more time to complete, they are the more superior option. The cost of dentures may add up over time with all of the maintenance and adhesives you will need to pay for and may even exceed the cost of dental implants. Call our Greeley CO dental implant office today to make an appointment or schedule an appointment online to learn more about both of these missing teeth replacement options.
Learn More About Dental Implants