Tooth discoloration is an extremely common dental concern. Many patients seek options to whiten their teeth for a more attractive smile. Discolored teeth tend to age the smile, and can often be a cause of embarrassment. Discolored teeth can be cosmetically treated to restore a more youthful appearance and provide an instant smile makeover. Greeley, CO cosmetic dentists Drs. Kami and Kevin Marr offer cosmetic teeth whitening options to treat stained, yellow or discolored teeth.
How Teeth Become Discolored
Yellowing or discoloration of the teeth is a fairly normal occurrence as patients age. There are several causes of tooth discoloration and most are usually not immediate oral health concerns. Discolored teeth can affect the aesthetics of the smile and may make a patient appear older than they are.
- Deterioration of Enamel: As you age the enamel of your tooth is subject to wear. As the enamel wears away, the dentin, or the inner layer of the tooth, becomes exposed. Dentin is yellow in color and when exposed causes teeth to appear yellow.
- Over Exposure to Fluoride: While fluoride is a necessity for building strong teeth, an overexposure to fluoride during the development of teeth may cause white patches to form on the teeth. These white patches are harmless but may be distracting from the appearance of the smile.
- Medications: Certain medications such as tetracycline can cause tooth stains. These types of stains are often resistant to bleaching trays and can be treated with other cosmetic dentistry procedures such as dental veneers or bonding.
- Diet & Lifestyle: A highly acidic diet, or a diet high in coffee, tea, red wine could cause tooth discoloration. Patients who smoke are also more likely to experience yellowing of the teeth.
Treating Discolored Teeth
Teeth whitening is a cosmetic dentistry procedure that can improve the aesthetics of a smile. Whiter, brighter teeth can take years off of a patient’s appearance and offer a refreshed and relaxed appearance. Whiter teeth can increase confidence, making you smile more often. Depending on the cause of discoloration, Dr. Marr and Marr may recommend a number of cosmetic treatment options.
- Professional Teeth Whitening
- Porcelain Veneers
- Tooth Bonding
Before any dental procedure, your Marr Family dentist will conduct a thorough oral health exam. Existing or developing oral health concerns should be addressed prior to teeth whitening treatment for optimal results. Dr. Marr may also recommend a patient receive a thorough teeth cleaning before beginning a teeth whitening treatment plan.